By The Raleigh Telegram
RALEIGH – A celebration and fireworks display has been announced for Raleigh on July 4th, bringing the fireworks from the usual location at the NC State Fairgrounds to downtown. Mayor Nancy McFarlane made the announcement today that the fireworks display is now official.
“Beginning at 4 p.m. on July 4, Fayetteville Street will be filled with the likes of eight different bands, the Maximus Circus, a beer and wine tasting tent, a picnic on the street and a kids’ zone,” said the city in a statement.
In addition, the city says that the restaurants will be bringing their fare to the street along with plenty of other events.
“The full range of authentic Americana fun – watermelon seed spitting contests, etc. will fill the day; culminating with a brilliant fireworks display at 9:30 p.m,” says the city.
The Raleigh Wide Open event was traditionally held in the summer time each year complete with fireworks and as many as 70,000 people, but after last year’s tornadoes that swept through downtown Raleigh, the event was cancelled. ::
Article published: Wednesday, May 9th, 2012.
RELATED ARTICLE: Video Of First Night Raleigh Fireworks